Cape Town – Law enforcement officers have dismantled an illegal liquor manufacturing operation in the Umhlali Policing Precinct in KwaZulu-Natal, seizing counterfeit and illicit alcohol valued at R1.5 million.
A 36-year-old suspect, identified as the business manager, was arrested during the raid.
The multi-disciplinary operation was conducted by Umhlali Police in collaboration with the KwaZulu-Natal Provincial Counterfeit Contraband and Illicit Goods Unit.
“Law enforcement sized over 26,000 sachets of local branded liquor, over 60 crates filled with unbranded sachets of liquor, several boxes of counterfeit liquor, and five 1000 litre containers of ethanol used to manufacture the liquor. The truck delivering the ethanol was also seized during the raid,” police spokesperson Captain Alex Thomson said.
#sapsKZN Umhlali Police multi-disciplinary operation together with KwaZulu Natal Provincial Counterfeit Contraband and Illicit Goods Unit, cracked down on an illegal liquor manufacturing business operating in the Umhlali Policing Precinct, seizing counterfeit and illegal liquor… pic.twitter.com/Y67TqOg9sE
— SA Police Service 🇿🇦 (@SAPoliceService) March 17, 2025
“The business, operating from a farm along the secluded R104 road in Umhlali contained heavy machinery which distilled, mixed and packaged liquor on the premises. The business was supplying liquor to several businesses in the Ballito area, including branded alcoholic drinks for businesses.”
The arrested suspect has been charged with the manufacturing and distribution of illicit liquor.
He is expected to appear in the KwaDukuza Magistrates’ Court soon.
ILembe District Police Commissioner, Major General Anthony Gopaul, praised the operation, emphasising its potential impact on crime reduction.
“We are hoping that the impact of this operation will be seen in the reduction of our contact crimes and the reduction of alcohol abuse in the ILembe District that has been very visible in the last year,” said Gopaul.