Cape Town – A high-profile rape case involving Nigerian televangelist Timothy Omotoso has ended in acquittal after eight years of legal proceedings.
Omotoso and his co-accused, Zukiswa Sitho and Lusanda Sulani, were found not guilty of all charges, including racketeering, human trafficking, rape, and sexual assault.
The Eastern Cape High Court in Gqeberha ruled on Tuesday that the state failed to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt.
Judge Irma Schoeman criticised the prosecution’s weak cross-examination, which left the accused’s testimony unchallenged.
BREAKING NEWS: Judge Irma Schoeman has found televangelist Pastor Timothy Omotoso and his two co-accused not guilty of rape, racketeering, human trafficking, and sexual assault charges. pic.twitter.com/Kg2ufS2Sja
— SABC News (@SABCNews) April 2, 2025
“In my view, the explanations of the accused are improbable and I don’t and I don’t subjectively believe them. However, due to the uncertainty of the actions of the state and the lack of proper cross examination, I cannot find the accused’s version also improbable that they cannot be reasonable be true… The accused are found not guilty and are discharged on all the charges,” Schoeman said while delivering her ruling.
Omotoso, who had been in jail since 2017, had repeatedly sought to have the case dismissed.
Trial delays also resulted in some witnesses withdrawing their testimony, reports said.