Cape Town – A 16-year-old boy has been arrested in the Western Cape for allegedly contravening the Protection of Constitutional Democracy Against Terrorist and Related Activities Act (POCDATARA) and malicious damage to property, police confirmed.
The suspect was taken into custody on 27 March 2025 by a multi-disciplinary intelligence-led operational team comprising the Hawks’ Crimes Against the State (CATS), the Western Cape National Intervention Unit, the Western Cape Bomb Disposal Unit, and the Western Cape K9 Unit.
Police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Siyabulela Vukubi said that the arrest follows an investigation that began in December 2023.
“On 06 December 2023, the team executed a search and seizure warrant at Melkbosstrand.
“This was after information was received that a minor child was allegedly planning to attack the Cape Town International Airport and Mavericks Night Club after being radicalised and recruited by the terrorist organisation.
#sapsHAWKS Western Cape: A Juvenile, aged 16, was arrested on 27/03, by the multi-disciplinary intelligence led operational team comprising of the #Hawks‘ Crimes Against The State (CATS), Western Cape National Intervention Unit, Western Cape Bomb Disposal Unit and Western Cape… pic.twitter.com/fijVHyhFHZ
— SA Police Service 🇿🇦 (@SAPoliceService) March 27, 2025
“During the search, no explosive devices were found or any traces thereof detected. Several electronic devices, including a playstation, four gaming consoles, computer equipment, and a cellular telephone were seized for analysis,” Vukubi said.
Further investigation revealed that the teenager had been active in extremist social media chat groups and had allegedly recruited another individual to assist him.
In November 2023, he reportedly vandalised a statue of Mary at the Melkbosstrand Catholic Church, beheading it and spray-painting it with unfamiliar slogans.
The case was referred to the Director of Public Prosecutions in Cape Town before being escalated to the National Director of Public Prosecutions, which resulted in a POCDATARA certificate being issued on 6 March 2025.
The suspect made a brief appearance before the Atlantis Magistrates’ Court (Children’s Court) on 27 March 2025 and was released into the care of his parents.